Friday, October 18, 2013

my (mommy) closet: a series


women's clothing


I'm not a huge fan of 'must have' lists you find all over the internet and in fashion magazines, because not everyone is a fashion editor or celebrity with huge amounts of money to spend on clothes. Budgets are for real! And everyone is different, with different needs, budgets, tastes, and lifestyles. I come from the perspective of a stay-at-home mom, where I mostly need comfortable, casual clothes to kick around the house and run errands in that still looks cute and put together. But that's just me. Some moms need work- appropriate and mommy-appropriate clothes.

(Sometimes I miss working. Not gonna lie. I miss wearing heels and lipstick and actually getting a break.)

Anyway. Starting from the beginning. I'm a (relatively) new mommy, and my closet is a work-in-progress. I don't have the money to go out and buy an entire new wardrobe, so I'm stuck working with what I have and adding a few carefully chosen pieces as we go along.  It's no use mourning what was--I'm learning to move forward and adapt to new circumstances, embrace change and go with the choices I made. I knew things would be different. But knowing is way different than knowing, if you know what I mean. Like not knowing I wouldn't have more than 3 hours of sleep at a time for a full 6, maybe 8 weeks, having drastic body-image issues to deal with, postpartum hair loss, and all that fun stuff that you never think about.

I'm working on a series to hash out what I really need and what I don't. Because who has space, time or money to worry about a roomful of clothes that don't fit? Here's what's to come:

Mommy closet basics: Part 1--what's underneath
Mommy closet basics: Part 2--the basic basics
Mommy closet basics: Part 3--toppers
Mommy closet basics: Part 4--accessories

Now, please excuse my while I go clean out my closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment