Saturday, October 26, 2013

shopping on a tight budget: thrifting!

Budgeting. It's hard reality, people. Hard.


I have a budget of $170 for each month to spend on clothes for myself, the hubs, and Baby. And hubby needs another suit and pair of dress shoes. And I haven't bought a pair of socks since 2009. We're also trying to save some money for Christmas traveling and gifts for family. Soo...that means I'm on a shopping hiatus until Christmas. I think I might have $20.  After that, the amount goes back up to $170, pending a disaster of some sort. It doesn't seem like much, but it's something. In fact, I am slightly ashamed of complaining, since so many people in this world don't even have clothes.

So I thrift. When the urge to go shopping hits, and I'm close to out of money for the month, I hit my favorite local thrift stores. There's something about the thrill of the hunt. Plus I love bragging to my honey about what I found for so cheap!

Here's what I do:

-I feed myself and baby before we go. Who wants to go shopping with a grouch?
-I try to wear layers so I can try on stuff if there's no fitting room. (Like a tank, leggings and a long sweater)
-Don't forget to browse in the men's and boy's sections. You never know what you might find! I've found oversize sweaters and shirts, and taken a scissors to a pair of men's jeans to make a pair of shorts.
-Some thrift stores have discount days, so be sure to call and ask before you go!
-I'm picky. I usually don't bring something home unless I have a use for it.

Here's what I look for-

-Something that will fill a hole in my closet. For example, with all the cozy plaids I've seen everywhere this season, I'd really like a oversize, cozy flannel. I'll probably end up buying one, but in the meantime I'm keeping my eyeballs peeled for the perfect shirt.

-Nice materials. Like cashmere or 100% wool sweaters, silk tops, or leather belts.

-A standout pattern in a skirt or dress. One of my favorite tricks is to chop off a skirt hem. I've also made a dress into a skirt...it's not too hard...believe me! Or, if you don't have the time, a tailor could do the job for about $5.

-Books. Yes, I'm kind of nerdy. But I've found really nice hardcover classics, books on early childhood development and recipe books. Even baby board books!

Sometimes all those racks full of someone else's junk can be intimidating, but finding that hidden gem is so rewarding!



No comments:

Post a Comment