Saturday, June 8, 2013

a challenge to myself

I've always loved dressing up. I guess you could say I was a girl's girl. Good thing I grew up with brothers or I'd be an unbearable diva.

My 20 year old self would have recoiled in disgust at my (currently) 3 months postpartum self. I'd always made fun of women who went out in public in pajamas, unwashed hair and no makeup. There's no way I'll ever be like that, I told myself.  I never, ever left the house without taking the time to look cute. I wouldn't even go to Walmart in a sweatshirt.

And then...the pregnancy test was positive. And the first couple months, I felt so yucky that I hardly cared to brush my hair, let alone wear makeup. When I could finally wear maternity clothes, and felt a little better, I got so sick of wearing the same thing every. single. day. After baby arrived, my chubby, stretch marked, leaky-boobed self just wanted to crawl into bed and eat chocolate covered Oreos all day long while nursing my baby. My poor honey. He missed the cute version of me...and definitely got sick of me complaining how I was ugly...and fat...and yeah. Visions of this hot, sexy mommy-self who wore lipstick and fit into skinny jeans one week postpartum quickly vanished along with my 8-hour nights of sleep.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

I am reduced to wearing athletic shorts and hubby's ancient Frat tee shirts from college days while home with baby. How sick is that. I'm better now, minus the stretch marks, but at least I can fit into most of my clothes. Sadly, it's all hanging in my closet, unworn and unloved...but the problem is, you can't wear silk blouses and white jeans and pencil skirts while the forecast of spit-up on clothing is about 100%. I can dress up for few and far between date nights, but it's sadder than sad, people, that I need an occasion to make myself look at least decent, comb my hair and wear some mascara.

So, here's the challenge to myself. I will make an effort, even if it's less than five minutes, to put on a cute, spit-up friendly outfit (a.k.a, washable) and do something to my hair. My self worth would appreciate it and my husband deserves to come home to a wife not covered in spit up!

Every day I will post a quick picture of what I happen to be wearing, whether it's jeans and a button-up, or my regular frat tee and stained athletic shorts mommy uniform. I'm hoping this will force myself to create a good habit of looking nice for the people around me.








No comments:

Post a Comment